Tempest: Act 2, Scene 2
Review Act 2, Scene 2 from The Tempest. Share your observations about Caliban's character. How has your impression of him changed from the last act? Discuss any significant perspectives you see of him in this scene. How does this particular perpetuate the master-slave binary opposition/relationship?
Braeden D
ReplyDeleteCaliban is indeed a savage. He curses, lives in a cave, and is otherwise savage in every way. We also see how easy he is to be manipulated when he is given some drinks by Tinculio. Caliban is very spiteful of Prospero's abuse and slavery, but does not do anything to him, because he ultimately realizes that he is dependent on his masters. This is how the master-slave relationship is functioning. I also think that Caliban is a symbol of Native Americans. Shakepeare lived at the time when the European empires has set their eyes uponst the Americas. Caliban has had the same experience as those natives. First, he was alone on his island, and then the white men arrived, and offered him gifts, like how Miranda taught him English and Trinculio gave him wine. But soon, the newcomers askled more and more of him, until he was eventually the son of a murdered mother and a slave. I think Shakespeare was using Caliban to make a political statement about what his brethern were doing to other races at the time.
Karina Martinez
ReplyDeleteCaliban is like Braeden said, a savage. Although I think that this is the way that he was taught to be. I think that Prospero manipulated Caliban to be the way that he is because I think that he was afraid Caliban could become more human-like and cause problems. I see him now not so much as a problem like in the last act but as someone who just wants to have someone to obey. He doesn't know how to live any other way. I feel as though he gives problems to Prospero because he made him to be the way he is, so dependent on a person. Caliban and Prospero's master-slave relationship is based on Caliban's fear of being independent. He has been taken care of by Prospero for many years and now he wouldn't know what to do without him. I feel as though this will really shape the plot because we already saw Caliban shift his loyalty with a simple bribe once and I can see it happening again.
Henry Sales
ReplyDeleteWhile I agree with Braeden and Karina, in the fact that Caliban acts like a savage, I feel more pity and sympathy towards him, more than anything else. Throughout his whole life, he has been the victim, plain and simple. He went from being under the terrible control of his witch mother, Sycorax, to having his island taken over by Prospero, and being enslaved by the invader. The way Caliban acts is certainly wrong, however, the circumstances he has been subjected to his entire life certainly offer an explanation as to why he acts the way he does. In the first act, my feelings towards Caliban were generally harsh. After all, he was taken in and cared for by Prospero, until he tried to rape Miranda. Even worse than that, Caliban expressed absolutely no remorse towards this horrid act. Not to mention the fact that he continued to swear, and insult Prospero. However, in the second act, Shakespeare gives the reader a more personal look at Caliban. It is clear that Caliban lives in constant fear of Prospero, and Prospero's supernatural influence, saying, "Lo, now, lo! Here comes a spirit of his, and to torment me / For bringing wood in slowly. I'll fall flat; / Perchance he will not mind me.", after he spots Trinculo coming towards him. Caliban is also very gullible, and naive, because as soon as he's given some wine, he pledges full loyalty to Stephano, clearly intoxicated. This shows more than anything, that Caliban's service under Prospero has really destroyed him mentally. He always appears either afraid, angry, desperate, or just disturbed. This can almost be likened to a child growing up in a dysfunctional family or a rough neighborhood. The conditions around him have turned him into something that now seems quite savage and evil. As for his exact relationship with Prospero, this scene shows that it is clearly a relationship of terrible hatred and frustration. While Prospero does provide for Caliban, I think Caliban would do fine without him, as shown by his desperate allegiance to the first person who gives him wine. Caliban is a tortured soul, and this scene shows both the pain, fear, and desperation that he is governed by.
Alexis Ariza
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with Henry’s view of Caliban. Like Henry, when I first read about Caliban in Act 1, I completely disliked him and the way he acted. This is because, even though Prospero let Caliban live in his cave and Miranda taught him how to speak, Caliban tried to rape Miranda. Furthermore, he did not feel any remorse for what he had tried to do, and began cursing Miranda and Prospero. I had thought, like Braeden and Karina, that Caliban was a savage. However, in act 2 scene to I pitied Caliban, like Henry. I did not feel sympathy towards him because he was rude, but I pitied him because he was very afraid of Prospero. Prospero had tortured Caliban for not obeying him, or because he obeyed Prospero too slowly. Like Braeden mentioned, Caliban and Prospero’s relationship reminds me of the Native Americans. Like the Native Americans, Caliban had been on the island long before Prospero had arrived. When Prospero came ashore Caliban’s island, he helped Prospero by giving him food and shelter. However, after helping Prospero to survive on the island, Prospero enslaved Caliban, and Caliban was forced to serve Prospero (in fear that Prospero would punish him). I believe that because of Caliban’s slave relationship to Prospero, he has become dependent on being lead by someone. I also believe that Caliban is very gullible. This is why Caliban decided to serve Trinculo after he was given wine. Lastly, like Karina stated, I also believe that Caliban will end up shifting his loyalty again in this book, because he is so gullible and because he is dependent on the master-slave relationship.
Ashley Moreau 2/6/11
ReplyDeleteCailban throughout the whole play he has been under the control of some higher authority. As Henry said it first started with his horrible mother Sycorax, and then when Prospero came onto the island he tricked him into being his servant. He is fearful of Propero’s magic, and upsetting the Gods, so that he does not argue with Prospero’s control. So when we first were introduced to him I actually felt bad for him. But we learn further that he tried to rape Miranda and then I felt absolutely no sympathy for him, and was glad Prospero made him a slave. In Act II we now see him become subjugated to the power of Trinculo and Stephano. After they got him drunk, they were able to convince him that they were these godly figures, and again agreed to show them island. Trinculo and Stephano are almost a parody of Prospero and what he did to Caliban when he first came onto the island, both tricking him. It is significant because I think Shakespeare really emphasized the relationship between the master and his slave in this act. It seems as though the slave (Caliban) is oblivious, and knows nothing about the world because he had been tricked, and domesticated by these smarter masters. (Prospero, Trinculo,Stephano) So it shows how with these circumstances, it is almost impossible for Caliban to every get out of his low position as a slave, because he always under someone’s control.
Great thoughts, folks.
ReplyDeleteAre we saying that Caliban is a victim, then?
Brittant Redding
ReplyDeleteIn the last act, Caliban is presented as a sleezy monster who curses his authority, yet still wants to please them. For example, Caliban was talking about previous times with Miranda in the last act. When Prospero acted back on Calibans words, Caliban seemed as though to want to please him again by doing whatever he says. As it is said above, I agree with the statement that Caliban needs a higher authority to tell him what to do. He acts out in an abusive, savage way, yet takes it back when in the presence of his authority. This master - slave relationship is presented as a strong one because of Calibans personality. Caliban has always been a slave to someone. Either Sycorax, Prospero, or now Trinculo, he is very dependent on people because that is the way he was raised and that is the only way he knows how to be.
Melissa Sorkin
ReplyDeleteAs many of my classmates have previously mentioned, my mindset or outlook on Caliban had changed from Act I to Act II as well. During Act I I had perceived Caliban as a fundamentally barbaric being, who was not only savage but had been disloyal to Prospero by attempting to rape his daughter, Miranda. However, my thoughts toward Caliban were slightly altered after reading Act II. In the beginning of Act II Scene II, when Caliban first sees Trinculo approaching him he exclaims, "Here comes a spirit of his, and to torment me for bringing wood in slowly. I'll fall flat. Perchance he will not mind me."(Page 96, Lines 15-17) This quote reveals that Caliban eternally lives in fear, which may be the result of the harsh facade he portrays. Thinking back to the articles by Miquel Ruiz, the idea of why you do the things you do seemed to be a common theme. I believe this theme is also relevant in "The Tempest." Caliban's entire life he has lived in suffering, pain, and everlasting servitude. Therefore because he has been continually punished, with no immediate mercy or remorse, he too is able to instigate pain and suffering upon others without feeling compassion. In addition, although Caliban claims that he wishes for freedom, it seems as though he constantly falls into the relationship of a servant, most likley because this is the only relationship he knows. However, due to Caliban's suffering when he encounters Stephano who offers him wine to camouflage his pain Caliban immediately falls to his knees with admiration. This is the main source of my sympathy towards Caliban, because this confesses the true pain Caliban must be in if the slightest ease of his pain causes him to worship a drunken butler. Overall, although both Act I and Act II had revealed a large part of Caliban's character I know there are many more revelations to come.
Lydia Hopkins
ReplyDeleteI agree with Braeden when he says that Caliban is definitely a savage. Caliban is a very naive person and will give his loyalty to anyone that treats him right, even though he might later regret it. This is shown in act one scene two. "When thou cam'st first, thou stroke'st me, and made much of me; wouldst give me water with berries in't; and teach me how to name the bigger light, and how the less, that burn by day and night: and then I loved thee and showed thee all the qualities o'th'isle, the fresh springs, brine-pits, barren place and fertile: cursed be I that did so!". This quote shows how Caliban regrets being taken in by Prospero and how he can't change this fact now. In scene two act two I believe the same situation is occuring. Stephano gave Caliban something that Caliban liked and now Caliban is putting all of his faith in Stephano, treating him like he is his new master just because he was given wine. "I'll kiss thy foot; I'll swear myself thy subject". Caliban is too naive to know that Stephano might not be the best person to follow. Being naive leads him to suffering, which is how he ended up Prospero's slave. I believe this simple-mindedness of Caliban's will bring many hardships for him throughout this play.
Christina hanby
ReplyDeleteCaliban isn't all to blame really. I agree with Braeden that Caliban is a savage, but considering the fact that it's all he's ever known and it's what he was taught at birth, what more can he be? He is easily manipulated, and thinks he has free will, even though he is slave to Prospero. He believes himself free of Prospero, and believes he has a new master simply because a man gave him alcohol. This shows how naive he is, and that he thinks he dictates every part of his life even though he does now. I agree with Lydia that his simple-minded stupidity (though it could be argued that he doesn't know any better, really)will lead to much troubles for him, and I foresee Prospero getting greatly upset and punishing Caliban for trying to seek another master.
Joey F.
ReplyDeleteIn the beginning of "The Tempest", when we first met Caliban I did not really know what to think. I obvesly knew that he was not all that bright or good looking, but I never got the image of Caliban as a savage. Then as we got through the first act I could clearly see that Caliban was very angry and upset, not necesscerily a savage. Yes, I think it was wrong for him to try and "overtake" you could say, Miranda, but I do not think that he had been taught proper manners. In Act 1 we find out that Prospero and Miranda had taught him how to talk and some manners, but not enough for Caliban to be totally civilized. So really what I'm saying is that I would 100 percent say that Caliban was a victim, or so far seems like the victim. The reason for my thinking is because out of the greatness of his heart showed Prospero HIS island. In return recieved teaching from Miranda. Now you also have to take in account that Miranda is probably the first person of the opposite sex that he had ever met. Similar to the meeting of Ferdinand and Miranda, she could not in a way contain herself. I believe this is simialr to Caliban, not having proper manners and meeting a woman for the first time his wild nature I think got the best of him. From this Propero made him his slave. Last time I checked we did not make people our slaves for making a mistake. I also get the feeling for the meeting of Caliban, Trinculo, and Stephano that Caliban is the victim. If he was treated right and properly by Prosero then he would not have been so quick to forget him for some alcohol. So far we have also seen that Prosepo is not the nicest or warmest guy. So all in all my opinion is that Caliban made a mistake, as we all do, and has paid the maximum price. He really is the victim in the play to me not a savage as others have described Caliban as.
Taylor F.
ReplyDeleteIn Act one my first impression of Caliban was that he was a savage beast who is not thankful for what Prospero and Miranda are giving him. But now after reading act two I pity Caliban. To answer your question Mr. Burns, yes I do feel that Caliban is the victim here. All his life he has been under the control of someone else. Like Henry said it started with his mother, then Prospero, and now Trinculo and he doesn’t seem to know what it is like to be free and because of that I believe he is a victim. Also I agree with Melissa when she references page 96 lines 15-17 because Caliban is very afraid of Prospero. Prospero must have done some horrible things to Caliban in his past to be hated that much. Prospero didn’t seem to mind punishing Caliban in scene one: “For this, be sure to-night thou shalt have cramps, / side-stiches that shall pen thy breath up” So I can see where the fear comes from. But on the other hand Caliban does deserve the punishment he gets. He is savage like Lydia and Braden were saying and has a horrible temper. So I have mixed feelings about Caliban.
Alyssa Soforenko
ReplyDeleteWhen we first met Caliban in the first act, we learned that he is a savage; he lives in a cave and he has been controlled all his life. His behavior is very rebelling; he has done some really idiotic things. He is really dependent on other people, because he has had to depend on people his whole life; him mother, Prospero and then Tinculio. Not everyone in his life has been the best too him, but he still stays "loyal" in a way. Then we all also learned that Prospero was not the nicest guy, and Caliban has made some very big mistakes with Prospero in the past. You can tell that Prospero and Caliban do not get along, ever since Prospero took over the island for himself and Miranda. When Caliban met Sebastian and Tinculio, you saw how he started to follow Sebastian because he came him wine. He started to behave differently, and there you saw how easily infulenced Caliban was. In a way, i agree with the fact that Caliban is a "victim" because, he is being ruled, and told what to do. Also, since Prospero and Miranda taught him manners and how to speak, they did not teach him everything he needs to know. LIke Joey said, Caliban is a victim because he really does not know any better. He only does what he was taught, and is easily influenced. So, too say that he is a victim, is true.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTim Raheb
ReplyDeleteIn act 2, scene 2 of the tempest, I see Caliban as a frustrated character. He is frustrated with Prospero specifically because he mentions some cruel things such as "all the infections that the sun sucks up
From bogs, fens, flats, on Prospero fall". This shows his anger and frustration towards Prospero which develops his character. In this act and scene, I also see a "weak and defenseless" Caliban who is vulnerable to Stephano and Triculo. He tries to suck up to the men around him and tells them that he will work quicker. After seeing these few things that happened, I feel bad for Caliban as other classmates have said. This pity feeling that we all have for him is not just from this scene, at least for me. I always saw him as a controlled person by a higher authority who has no freedom. Therfore, I had always felt bad for him even before what I saw in this act. Some of Henry's ideas were very true of Caliban, such as Caliban's naive and gullible characteristics. He drinks the alcohol without thinking twice about what he might be getting into. In all, this scene shows more of Caliban's naive, depressing, and fearful character.
Cameron Greene
ReplyDeleteCaliban is the lowest form of life that a person can achieve. He is a slave, a vagrant, a depender. He has no independance, he will never. This is due to three factors, abandonment, ugliness, and despicable manners in his own right. He depends too much on others for support which in turn leads to enslavement. He also requires them to teach him which can lead to a loss of reasoning in what is right and wrong in treatment. He will most likely stay in servitude for the rest of his days unless he just snaps and goes on a violent spree of murder and pillaging. Let's not also suggest that he is a "victim" of a corrupt and unjust system. He did after all try to RAPE Miranda and failed. So if I were Prospero, I would've killed him outright but then again, I'm not. So goes that pleasure.
Nicole L.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Henry and Alexis; I also pity Caliban. We first saw Caliban in Act 1 through the biased views of Prospero and Miranda. He is portrayed, in contrast to Prospero and Miranda, as a savage. In Act 2 Scene 2, Caliban appears alone with a monologue that expresses resentment, as well as a paranoia--fear of what he believes Prospero could do to him. Prospero has controlled what Caliban learns, and has, in a sense, "programmed" Caliban to serve him out of fear: similar to the idea of "Dream and Domestication of the Planet". Caliban is inferior, but of no choice of his own, thus making him a victim. His inferiority is still displayed in Act 2 Scene 2 when he meets Trinculo and Stephano. Stephano has wine, which gives him, in Caliban's eyes, power. Caliban, having been taught he is inferior, bows down to these guys just because they have wine. Caliban is taken advantage of because of his ignorance.
Interesting thoughts.
ReplyDeleteThink about the following: physical subjugation versus mental enslavement. Which does Caliban experience? Is there even a difference? Is slavery...slavery...either way you look at it?
Someone mentioned the idea of free will...what exactly is keeping Caliban from never returning to Prospero?
Kyle Ratte
ReplyDeleteIf I were to describe Calibans character, I would call him a selfish coward. He is greedy, because in act one, even though Prospero was generous enough to let him live amongst Miranda and himself and is taught how to speak, he still attempts to rape Miranda after all they have done for him. I would also call him afraid, because of all the spirits who inflict pain upon him. To be completely honest I think of him as a coward for two reasons. If you do something so wrong, you should take the punishments that come to you like a man (or a fish) and accept it because you brought it upon yourself. Instead, Caliban continuously complains about the torments and begs for it to end. My second reason for Caliban being a coward would be that the punishments really aren't that terrible. For what he's done, he shouldn't be complaining about whats described as the occasional Pinch and Prick. He also seems very paranoid, as when Stefano enters he immediately assumes that it is a spirit come to torture him. I would say that he is willing to do anything in order to stop these "torments". I am able to make this statement because he is so quick to help Trinculo and Stefano and all that he was given for him to be influenced to do this was some wine. Though, there is a part of me that pities Caliban, Like Nicole, Henry and Alexis. And I believe Prospero feels the same way because he has not killed Caliban yet but in the end he is simply just a coward who doesn't deserve to be pitied.
Isabella Braga
ReplyDeleteOne side of Caliban that I saw in this scene was the very first lines. He said "All the infections that the sun sucks up/From bogs, fens, flats on Prosper fall, and make him/By inch-meal a disease!" (pages 94 & 96 lines 1-3) Caliban wishes evil and terrible things on Prospero. He doesn't like him and how he treats him because according to Caliban, Prospero said he would release him in two days. Caliban didn't like that idea because he felt he should have been let free right then and there. He then decided to argue with Prospero to try and get his way. Obviously that made Prospero more angry in return. This relates to the master-slave idea because Caliban is technically Prospero's slave. Caliban lives on the island that Prospero lives on, although Caliban and his mother were originally the first people on the island. When Trinculo enters on page 96 Caliban believes: "I'll fall flat;/Perchance he will not mind me." (lines 16-17) Caliban is then tortured by the new members of the island.
Moira N.
ReplyDeleteLike what has been previously stated, at first I felt bad for Caliban, Prospero seemed to treat him cruelly. But then it was stated that Caliban tried to rape Miranda and all my sympathy was lost for him. I do not believe that Caliban is a victim. In the second act Caliban’s qualities are shown, and we find out he is a follower and subjects him self to others. He gave his loyalty to a drunken man partly because it was an act of rebellion against Prospero. Caliban’s character physically subjects himself to others but there is not mental enslavement. Caliban would do all of the work Prospero asked him to do, but while doing it he would curse Prospero. This shows that Caliban has not fully subjected his mental state of being to his leader, but rather follows their orders because he knows of nothing else. This physical subjection is different from full mental enslavement for the person is looking for ways to rebel. When you have mentally subjected your self to a leader you believe what you are doing is right, and do not look for ways to rebel. Whether the subjection is physical or mental it is still naming one human more important then another and that is wrong. Slavery is still slavery no matter what way you look at it.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteUmar Husain
ReplyDeleteAs we progress through the rough and epic Shakespeare's the Tempest, we observe every detail becoming more and more complex. I view Caliban, based on what I have seen of him thus far, as a minor character that is becoming more complex with an added history and symbol-like presence in the play. Caliban symbolizes true pain and regret and the corruption man can do to a soul and the desperation mankind can turn that lost soul towards. At first sight, I felt Caliban to be a ruthless, savage and wild creature that due to his unnatural childhood with a witch mother was the stereotypical spawn of a negative and loveless childhood. I immediately concluded him to be a victim and classified his attempt of Miranda as a desperate attempt to ward off he who took away his home, the only thing that was eternally his and very so dear to him. Shakespeare produces what many today call "Criminal X", the most basic personality of those who choose to rebel. As my peers also highlighted a significant quote relating Caliban and Prospero is as follows, "Here comes a spirit of his, and to torment me for bringing wood in slowly. I'll fall flat. Perchance he will not mind me."(Page 96, Lines 15-17) Caliban is depicted to be terribly afraid of Prospero at the mere mention of him. In my opinion, Caliban's fear stems from his loneliness. He is afraid because he has lost everything. His most cherished home has been taken away from him and naturally he is afraid of the being that was able to take away his dearest possession (Prospero). Caliban seems too stuck in a loop and constantly falls into the role of servant as he agrees to show Alonso’s servants, Trinculo and Stephano around the island and begins worshipping them. He treats them as gods thinking they will rid him of Prospero. This particular perpetuates the binary master-slave relationship by exemplifying Caliban’s constant fall into a slave role and the classical psychological postulate that states the slave will always attempt to oppose the master. Caliban began by treating Prospero as a god and then became his servant and now opposes him. I predict this relationship will develop between Trinculo and Stephano and Caliban. Therefore, Caliban's role as a victim remains the same up till now, but his personality has shifted drastically.
Briana Ruggiero:
ReplyDeleteLike Moira said, I also felt bad for Caliban when we were first introduced to him. Being a servant to Prospero who treats him rather badly seemed like a terrible situation to be in. Then as we read further on, the true colors of Caliban began to show. We learned that Caliban attempted to rape Miranda at an earlier date. This is where I also began to lose my sympathy for Caliban. That act shows that he is un- loyal to Prospero. However, Caliban is more than un-loyal to Prospero, he dislikes him to the point where he is seeking rebellion. Whenever Prospero asks Caliban of something, Caliban will do it, while cursing the entire time. Although Prospero has given Caliban many perks as his servant, such as teaching him how to speak, and letting him live with Miranda and himself, he still manages to be ungrateful. I find it interesting that whenever Prospero threatens Caliban, Caliban's terrible attitude turns into mercy for forgiveness. By that I mean that, although Caliban speaks so harshly of Propspero, in the back of his mind, he knows the terrible things that Prospero can inflict upon him. Overall, although I do have a small amount of pity for Caliban, because he is a slave, I see that he also causes most of his own problems with Prospero and deserves to be treated the way he is.
Cortney Roque
ReplyDeleteUnlike Moira and many others have said on this post, I do not feel one bit bad for the way Prospero acts towards and treats Caliban. From the beginning I've thought of Caliban to be a selfish, bitter, uncontrollable pig. My reasoning for this is right in act I, we find out that Caliban is Prospero's servant who tried to rape his daughter, Miranda. Even in act II, however, my opinions on Caliban's actions and attitudes has not changed much, even though his attitudes may have altered. In act I, Caliban was very cold to his ruler Prospero. However, in act II when Stephano came to the island with liquor and allowed Caliban to experience it for the first time, Caliban was willing to do all he could for merely another sip. This shows how Caliban changed from being a bitter pig to uncontrollable and and selfish. However, Caliban was not the only one wrong in the situation. Once Stephano realized that Caliban would do all he could for the liquor, he began to take advantage of him and Caliban in turn did anything Stephano desired. This represents the master-servant relationship very well. As long as Caliban was doing what he was told, Stephano kept him happy. Overall, even though my opinions on Caliban haven't changed, his attitude throughout these two scenes clearly have.
Lauren Chiarillo
ReplyDeleteI agree with almost everyone that Caliban is in fact a savage. As one can see when reading the first act, he curses, lives in a cave, doesn’t really wear many clothes, he basically has most of the characteristics that a savage has. In the first act we see how Caliban is treated badly because of what he did to Miranda, Prospero’s daughter. Due to this fact he is disrespectful to Prospero, however, he does whatever is asked of him because, like some of the others said he is easily manipulated. As a result, in act two when Trinculo gave Caliban wine, he automatically offered to be Trinculo’s servent. I personally think that Caliban just wants to be treated well and acknowledged as an actually person and not a slave. That is what he got when he offered to be Trinculo’s servant because it is almost like he was making a fresh start. Also I think that Caliban feels like he has to serve people because that is how he was raised by both Prospero and somewhat by his mother Sycorax. When looking at both scenes and how he acts from the first to the second I feel bad for him in a way, but at the same time he kind of brought his treatment by Prospero on himself. So to answer Mr. Burns question, is Caliban a victim, I would have to say no. In the end Caliban is the one that choose his destiny by acting the way he did when he tried to rape Miranda. Only after this event was he treated badly. So overall I guess that I can say that at the beginning of The Tempest I thought of Caliban as a horrible person that deserved what he got, but as I keep reading he seems more traumatized by the life that he lives, however, I also think that his actions brought upon his own demise.
Mark P.
ReplyDeleteIn the beginning of Act 2 Scene 2 Caliban is very upset with Prospero and is cursing against him but then when he notices someone walking towards him he hides because he thinks it’s someone sent by Prospero. This shows Caliban’s timid character. Then later on in the scene Caliban shows his fickle character, “I’ll swear, upon that bottle, to be thy true subject; for the liquor is not earthly.” ( L.114-115, p.104) He quickly changes his mind on who he serves as a slave just because of the drink some random person that he has never seen gave to him.
My impression of Caliban has not changed when I read this act because his actions branch off of his characteristics shown in the first act. The first time Caliban enters the story line he starts cursing at Prospero, “As wicked dew as e’er my mother brushed with raven’s feather from unwholesome fen...” (L.325-328, p.52) But then Prospero comes back and threatens him with his power, Caliban shows his fear just like he did in Act 2 by hiding, “No, pray thee. I must obey: his Art is of such power, it would control my dam’s god, Setebos.”(L.375-378, p.55-56)
Shakespeare shows the reader or the viewer that Caliban cannot escape from being a servant. It’s like he only knows how to be a subject to someone so even though he might escape the chains of Prospero he never takes the main chains of slavery off and asks to become a slave to another master, Stephano. So the master-slave relationship still maintains itself.
Basically everyone has said before me, Caliban is rightfully a slave by Prospero. In my opinion I believe that Caliban is spending his life on that island, trapped because of his own greed and misguidance. The first time we were introduced to Caliban, we weren't given much information other than a strongly worded opinion by Prospero, and a light description of Caliban's attempt to rape Prosperos daughter, Miranda. In the beginning I knew that was wrong and had zero sympathy for him. However after reading Act II scene 2, I realized it was more then just Calibans greed that led him to where he was. Even though the pathetic sap who would beg for even another swig of alcohol, just showed how sad of a sap he was. He has not experienced things, and even if they were the finest of things he would take advantage of the things he is given. Like when Cortney had said how Caliban would do all he could for the liquor. Instead of being greatful he becomes selfish, needy, and rude to the point where i lose even more respect for him, even under his slavery. Another comment i had wished to say on here was that, Caliban was not raised. He was never raised to have morals values the way we would. And how we are all obedient and submissive to those bigger than us or in power, Caliban is not. It is in his blood to go against, and being slaved will never change that. no matter how long.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading Act 2 I have really come to the conclusion like many before me that Caliban is indeed a savage. I do not feel bad for him in anyway, although Prospero treats him unfairly I still find him to be a selfish, greedy and manipulative person. Like Jeanette said after Caliban tried to rape Prospero's daughter Miranda that was when I lost total respect. Now he seems like a very timid, nervous person that thinks everything is a spirit trying to hurt him. I think he is like this because he has suffered the abuse of the spirits. But I also believe it is do to the physical abuse he endured through enslavement. Although he physically abused, mentally he was not. He still cursed at Prospero every time he had to do something for him. That right there shows how he isn't fully domesticated and has that rebellious side brewing in him. No matter how many benefits and perks Prospero gave to him he still felt that need to rebel and curse everything. Also I feel that some things in his life were not his fault, but most of everything that led to where he is now was brought upon by himself. Caliban probably views all the hardship and troubles as prospero's fault, but most things from Prospero where benefits. Such as language and an actual place to stay.
ReplyDelete