Final Inferno Reflection
Now that you have completed your group project and heard what the other groups have said about their canto and circle of Hell, what thoughts and questions do you have? Reflect on The Inferno as a whole text. What are your final thoughts? With what questions does this text leave you?
Although we haven’t finished the project presentations for The Inferno yet, I think I have somewhat of a better understanding of the circles of hell according to Dante. Even though I have learned more about some of the other circles of hell that we did not read together as a class, I still feel like I don’t know enough about all of the circles of hell to make a valid thought about The Inferno as a whole. My main questions are still along the lines of Dante’s though process behind the sins and the punishments of the circles of hell. I wonder why he chooses treachery as the worst sin over violence and murder. Is there a historical significance to this? Did an event during Dante’s life have any impact on him that caused him to place treachery as the worst sin? Is there an allegorical meaning to the punishments of the circles of hell or any significance the sequence of the punishments? Based on what we have gone over so far with The Inferno as a whole, those are my main questions about The Inferno for now.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Donovan, with the fact that since we haven't read everything together, it's more difficult to really reflect on it all. However, I often found myself amazed and dumbfounded, trying to think of how Dante was able to create such an epic, rich, and detailed setting, and what influenced his choices on its layout. I feel as if Dante is systematically breaking down, scrutizing, and analyzing nearly everthing in the lives we lead, and in the world we live in. Its almost like he uses Dante the Pilgrim's journey through hell as a tool to comb through the ups and downs, people and feelings, and of course sins and punishments in our real world. This sill leaves me with a lot of questions, though. First, I've always wondered if Dante ever stated a clear reason for writing this epic piece, and to build on that, I've also been wondering how closely Dante's political life in Florence affected his Hell. Finally, what is Dante's general view of humanity, and people. Does he believe that we are naturally greedy, selfish, sinful beings with no self-control of honor, or does he think that even though some of us are sinful, there is much hope for us?
ReplyDeleteLydia Hopkins
ReplyDeleteMy biggest question is what are Dante's religious beliefs? Is he a complete Catholic or is he still questioning his religion. I know that in the beginning of the story he is middle-aged and is questioning life but what does the real Dante believe, not Dante the pilgrim? When he writes this story is he trying to convey how good the Catholic religion is or how bad it is? I found this story to be very interesting because it was enjoyable to read about Dante's different visions of Hell and which sin should go with each punishment. I also like how creative he was when he made the punishments.
Umar Husain
ReplyDeleteAs stated by my peers, we have not completely read the Inferno; I believe I have a good understanding of The inferno. As I reflect upon the epic poem I am marveled at how Dante Alighieri created such a rich and colorful setting, however, I do not completely agree with his point of view on things. Essentially, the poem hits me as a huge hypocrisy. Dante, a man who is lost and facing a mid-life crisis, set up the poem so he, the writer judges everyone past and present and systematically places them in Hell. I feel as though this is completely contradicting to the fact that Dante is unstable yet is still making judgments. To build on what Henry stated, I do believe Dante’s Hell is a parallel to life in the Middle Ages in Florence, Italy. The fact that he, one who is unstable, is judging others hypocritically is something that parallels the time period perfectly. The age was full of ironies, contradictions and hypocrisies, and therefore so is The Inferno. This leads me to again ask: Why did Dante write this poem, essentially? So I ask: Who is Dante to judge others when he himself is in crisis? Although I don’t agree with Dante’s ideals, his literal work is something to be awed at. Only a gifted writer can create such a complex and stirring setting with such captivating characters and elements. After reading The Inferno, I keep asking myself, what is the essential question? Why do we strive to be the best when it is foretold that we shall all meet a doom? Is it to achieve unity with God and dodge the peril that is Hell, as Dante believes? Who am I and what do I want? What happens after I die? These typical philosophical questions keep striking my head ever since I began reading the Inferno. I believe the book has successfully gotten me to think beyond the literal level.
Ashley Moreau
ReplyDeleteAfter listening to all of the class presentations, I have just one question; how does one man have such a wild imagination? Never would I have been able to compose a poem of that complexity, and the punishments that so perfectly fit the crime. The punishments however did seem just wild, and imaginative to me. As others have said, I think I have a decent understanding of the text. I think it shows the heroic journey of a man, and the maturity he gains by completing his journey. Dante began his journey a confused man, and now he has a sense of understanding and direction in his life. This book also makes me wonder what the real after life is like, or if there is even an afterlife? I’m not sure yet I believe the idea because Dante’s idea of Hell just seemed to judgmental, and harsh.
-Joey F.
ReplyDeleteWhen we began reading the "Inferno" I felt and thought that this was just another Romeo and Juliet, another hard book to read. But now that we have read, and presented on the Inferno I can honestly say I enjoyed it. Some final thoughts/questions that I had were why are gluttony and lustfulness a part of Hell. Last time I checked not all heavy people did not go to Hell. Also, didn't Jesus accept Mary Magdalene, who was very lustful in her time? This make me wonder if Dante really was confused about his faith and where is life was going. Another question I had was why did Dante write the "Inferno"? If I had nothing to do when I was exiled, I dont know of this would be what I did with my freetime. Also, How would you possibly come up with the idea to write a story like this, other than to reinforce your faith. For such an idea like this one how long would it take to think it up. It must have taken Dante a long time to writh the Divine Comedy but I wonder how long it took Dante to think it up. So all in all I am glad to say I have read most of Dante's "Inferno". I think even though many kids will not like it or have trouble reading the poem, they will all walk away learning a valuable lesson that either Dante or Virgil has taught them.